Monday, April 26, 2010

Clothes clothes and more clothes

My son has too many clothes. I'll be the first one to admit it. To gear up for the nicer weather, we got our kids a bunch of summer clothes. Great, right? Well turns out my son still fits in some of his stuff from last year. Ok, no problem there; we could always use the extra. Well then my dear dear sister in law comes over with a huge bag of hand me downs from her son, and you know what, they are still in great condition and really nice clothes. So I have way too many clothes for my son. Yeah, things could be worse but I need to get some organization with them and I need to get rid of the things I know he isn't going to be wearing.


My system in his room is to hang all his jeans, pants, sweats, long sleeves shirts, button ups, coats and short sleeve collared shirts. He has a good size closet so this all fits in there nicely. Because of the size of his closet we only got him one dresser. The dresser has 4 drawers. Top is undies and socks, 2nd is shorts, 3rd is tee shirts and 4th is pajamas. The dresser has just been stuffed to the brim with clothes, not including what we bought him and the clothes from my SIL. There is literally no room for me to put any of his newly acquired clothes away. So this was my main project this weekend. I was sick of seeing bags of clothes with nowhere to go. I just started emptying all the clothes knew he wasn't going to wear and putting them in a laundry basket. I filled it and bagged it and will give it to my cousin for his son....who then passes it on to another cousin with twin boys. We don't waste clothes in this family!!

Then after that I combined the new, the old and the hand me downs and folded them up and put them away. I put nicer stuff to one side of the drawer and the play stuff to the other. I still have anxiety over these drawers because they are packed. I can see clothes getting stuffed in there again. So my ultimate goal is to clean out the top shelves of his closet and put his nicer stuff in there where only dh or I could reach. I can’t see hanging his shorts and tee-shirts. So here are 3 of his drawers-shorts, tee’s and pajamas. I got rid of a lot of pajamas!!! Thank God!

(sorry I couldn't get the first pic to turn on blogger, I didn't load it in this way!!)
















Then while my kids weren’t paying attention I decided to do 10 things from each of their rooms. I started with my sons. I got rid of 2 empty shoe boxes, a barrel of monkeys (OMG so annoying there are 10 in there and they never play w/ them there is just always monkeys laying around my house. He’s had this toy for like 4 years too and he could care less about them. I have no idea why I didn’t get rid of them sooner) a painting book that is filled up, an old place mat, a bag of straws lol, a stethoscope (we have more than one) a broken slinky, an old play phone and some random pieces of cardboard some w/ stickers on them.
I had a really annoying whistle that actually belongs to my DD in this pile……..but well she came up and stole it and started using it.
Next I went in my daughter’s room and looked for 10 things in there. When I tell you my kids have too many toys, I really mean they have too many toys. They have more than they know what to do with. 10 gone from each room is nothing so I didn’t feel too bad doing this!!! This is my daughters stuff-I got rid of an old boppy pillow-seriously, she is almost 3, why is this in her room? A drum she doesn’t use, 2 stuffed animals she doesn’t care about (actually she doesn’t care about any stuffed animals, these are just what I chose to get rid of because they are ugly and came from a dirty crane game) a pocket book she doesn’t play with along with a wand she doesn’t play with. A balloon I had popped, a random little top that goes with some doll, which doll it is or where she is I don’t know. A remote control car that doesn’t work. Finally there are 3 watch faces to a watch that she doesn’t care about and is lost somewhere in the world. I packed these up and threw them all in the trash before they had any idea

So that was my Sunday. Friday I recycled some magazines that have been sitting on a kitchen shelf for too long. We also have a wall size cabinet in our kitchen that is the kid’s cabinet. It has their cups, plates, crafts etc in there. It’s a big junk cabinet and I need to do something about it YET AGAIN. Things get thrown in there and it’s very unorganized. I took a tip from Morgaine and started small. I can’t imagine just sitting and doing the whole thing at once. So I picked one shelf and cleaned it out. I will do this a little at a time. One shelf down, 4 to go!


p.s. My husband cleaned out his side of the closet yesterday!! Organizing is contagious!

4 comments:

  1. It is contagious! My husband actually WANTED to clean out the garage yesterday. I didn't take any before pics, but will post after pics soon.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the kid clothes ... I just received a bag recently from a friend for Matthew's current size, and I went through and only took out what we'd NEED/USE be/c his dresser drawers were already full. I kept the rest in the bag and plan on passing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a big project! WTG!

    This is yet another one lingering over my head!

    PS: Your kids are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am exhausted just reading this!

    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete